Volunteerism is the heart of what it means to LIVE UNITED! You can invest your time and talents to create real change here in Okaloosa and Walton counties. When the community is generous, we all win. Get involved and make a difference!
Think of United Way Emerald Coast as your gateway to the nonprofit community. When you connect with us, you're automatically connected to 36 of the area's strongest nonprofit partners, too! We can help you find a volunteer opportunity that directly aligns with the time you have available, your passions and interests, and your skills. Whether you'd like to volunteer on your own from the comfort of your home, or you'd like to arrange quarterly volunteer projects for your department, just let us know and we'll work with you to find the perfect project.
A few of our volunteer opportunities are listed below. To learn more, or to discuss other options, please contact our Director of Community Impact & Engagement, Brittnee Orr at 850.243.0315 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities:
- ReadingPals went virtual! Help a local child build the literacy skills they need to be successful in school... and life. If you'd like to spend an hour a week reading with a child and helping them work on their social-emotional development, let us know. We'll pair you with a local kiddo who needs your help. Can't commit to an hour a week? No problem! You may serve as a duo (alternating weeks with a neighbor, friend, or colleague) or serve as a substitute.
- Face Masks: Our local nonprofits, childcare providers, and community organizations need face masks to protect their staff and clients. CDC sew and no sew instructions are available here. You're welcome to drop the masks off at our FWB office on Tuesdays or Thursdays and we'll distribute to those most in need.
- Thank a Hero: Write a thank you note to someone on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis. Simply complete your message through this form and we'll send it along to lift someone's spirits. Or, consider dropping your card(s) off to a local hospital or healthcare facility, police station, fire department, grocery store, or leave it in your mailbox for your letter carrier!
- Adopt a Grandparent: Please consider "adopting" a senior who hasn't seen any visitors in months. Your contact will be sure to brighten their day! Simply sign up here and you'll be paired with a senior resident who will look forward to your note, phone call, or video session.
- Host a Virtual Fundraiser: It's easy to set up a fundraising campaign through Facebook and if you select United Way Emerald Coast as your beneficiary, dollars raised will stay right here in Okaloosa and Walton counties. All you have to do is visit our page, select "Fundraiser" then "Create Fundraiser" and you'll be guided through the process.
Current Volunteer Opportunities with United Way:
- Food Distributions: In partnership with Destin Harvest, Feeding the Gulf Coast, and the USDA's Farm to Families Program, we have several drive thru food distributions scheduled over the coming months. If you're of good health, under the age of 60, with the ability to lift 25 lbs., we'd love your help! Most distributions are held on Saturdays from 8-2pm.
- Database Support: We are looking for someone with strong attention to detail who can help us transfer information into a new database. Volunteer will complete the project at our Fort Walton Beach office. We are flexible with the days/times, but we're requesting a commitment of at least 20 hours.
- Office Repair: Our Crestview building could use a little TLC. Let us know if you'd like to help us paint, if you're skilled at replacing paneling, or if you'd like to spend some time pressure washing in the sunshine.
There are many other ways you can volunteer in the community. Contact us and we'll help you find a project you'll love!
Nonprofit Partner Volunteer Request:
Are you a local nonprofit or community-based organization seeking volunteers? Connect with us to find out how United Way Emerald Coast can help you meet your volunteer needs.
Contact our Director of Community Impact & Engagement, Brittnee Orr, at 850.243.0315 or email@example.com.