In today’s complex world, there’s no one way or right way to tackle the challenges we face. Instead, it takes all of us working collectively, in all kinds of different ways, to get the job done. Through research and planning, community engagement, investments in programs and initiatives, public policy advocacy and public awareness activities, we are creating real and measurable changes in health, education, and financial stability.
We improve Okaloosa and Walton counties by focusing our attention and by supporting programs in three categories for maximum impact. Why health, education, and financial stability? Because when everyone has these, they thrive and our community thrives.
We connect families to quality health services to ensure that every member of our community can stay healthy and strong. We have three goals in this area:
- Children, adults, and families are physically, emotionally, and mentally healthy
- Individuals improve/maintain their ability to live independently
- Individuals improve their health by reducing unhealthy, risky behaviors
We fund programs that support quality health care, access to nutritious foods, mental health services, emergency shelter and more. Our Health Partners include: Children in Crisis, Crossroads Center, Elder Services of Okaloosa County, Mental Health Association of Okaloosa Walton Counties, OASIS Florida, and Sharing & Caring.
A strong community begins early with a focus on education. From cradle to career, we ensure every child gets a strong start in life, teenagers have the tools to learn and grow, and young adults can turn into productive citizens. We have three goals in this focus area:
- Children enter school prepared and ready to succeed
- Students improve/maintain performance and achieve academic success
- Students graduate high school prepared for post-secondary education or career readiness
We fund programs that support school readiness, mentoring, mental health treatment for students, after-school programs and more. Our Education Partners include: AMIkids Emerald Coast, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwest Florida, Boys & Girls Clubs of the Emerald Coast, Fresh Start for Children & Families, and Mental Health Association of Okaloosa Walton Counties.
To succeed long-term, our community’s residents must be financially secure. United Way Emerald Coast believes in breaking the cycle of poverty by helping families and individuals find their path to financial stability. We have three goals in this area:
- ALICE households move towards financial independence
- Individuals develop skills to increase financial stability
- Individuals and families meet their basic needs and improve self-sufficiency
We fund programs that support emergency assistance, child care support, housing stabilization and more. Our Financial Stability Partners include: Catholic Charities of Northwest Florida, Early Learning Coalition of the Emerald Coast, and Homelessness & Housing Alliance.